Well, here I am sitting in the car at Myrtle Park in Deep Cove at Malcolm’s soccer practice and, since I brought the little MacBook, I decided to write about last weekend—Thanksgiving (Canada).

The Thanksgiving weekend came with the arrival of Michelle on the plane from school in Kelowna. We all then set about busy getting ready for Kevin’s (my nephew-in-law) wedding and for Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday. The wedding went well. It was out at UBC in a very old classic, well kept mansion sort of building. I took lots of photos of the reception. There was lots of food and some folks were partaking of the open bar. I discovered pineapple juice and Sprite. We stayed almost to the end.

Next, on Sunday, came my big contribution to the weekend. With the recent weeks tied up planning for the wedding and my sister planning to be away again, our family began talking about doing a small turkey and having my mother-in-law over. As the day approached, it occurred to us that perhaps others in the extended family might wish to attend. So, we offered to have everyone over for Thanksgiving dinner in our new house. For years we really did not have a very good place to have everyone over. Now, with our new townhouse and the open ‘great room’ plan, we can manage very easily to throw a pretty good bash. TG became our third gathering.

Thus, it was decided that I would rotisserie the turkey on my new, but getting well used, BBQ. I studied up on the matter over the Internet all week, picked out a recipe and got to it early Sunday afternoon. My BBQ rotisserie equipment came with no instructions, so I had to do a bit of figuring to get it all set up. The recipe required that the turkey be rubbed with olive oil to make the skin go crispy and then have a mixture of garlic pepper (we happened to have plenty of that on hand) and Kosher salt (I used a coarse sea salt) rubbed on the inside and outside of the turkey. My wife thought is would be too salty, but, I insisted that it would be OK. In between the coating of the inside and the outside, I had to truss the turkey. Once again, I referred to the handiness of the Internet to learn how (I just tried to play the link and could not get it to work, so, you may have to look for other sources). I bought some string at the local dollar store and proceeded to tie up the birdie. A shove of the spit through the center of the guy, on with the prongs to secure him and then with a tray underneath, on to the BBQ at 2 o’clock. When the motor was turning the spit successfully, off I went to organize the wedding photos to show on our big TV.


It was during one of my checks that I found the turkey cooking on only one side. What was wrong? The motor was struggling. It turned and part of the way, it turned the other way and then back again. One side was not cooking. That’s right, the turkey had shifted and was no longer centered on the spit. Not even the counter balance would help. I would have to remount the now very hot turkey. More exactly, I had to remount the prongs. It worked and, after getting the counter balance set correctly, it was off and running again. But first, I turned the motor off so the less cooked sides could face the rotisserie burner for a while and catch up with the more done side. You can see the over done side in the photo.





I checked the temperature often and when it reached 180, I removed it to sit for 20 minutes. That was at 6 o’clock. I then watched a YouTube video on how to carve (he was using the very same knives that I was about to use) and with a small audience of interested folks, I began the formality of carving and arranging pleasingly on a platter. It looked fabulous. But, how would it taste? Would it be too salty. I carved the pre-sliced ham and we served. It was fantastic! I was and still am so very happy and pleased that my first rotisserie experience was great.



So, that is my first BBQ turkey experience, what is yours? Have you BBQed a turkey, or anything else?