, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 October, 2013 11:29 PM

Wow, I can’t believe it has been so long since I have posted any news about myself. Now, let me see—what has been going on. It has been a busy summer beginning with Patti’s mother, Doris, who went away on a regular short trip to the USA for a bit of shopping and whatever with her niece Kathy. Apparently, the bed was high and had a small stool to assist one in getting up into the bed. It seems that Doris tripped or missed the stool, or something, and ended up falling. She claimed to be OK and managed to make it back home, however, was very uncomfortable and in a lot of pain. X-rays showed the old osteo cracks, but, nothing new. Feeling worse and worse as the week progressed, she spent all her time in a chair, even sleeping in the chair.

Patti, and sometimes myself, went out to help every evening. By the end of a week, she had fallen a few more times, so it was decided that the hospital would be a better place. The doctors discovered that she actually did have fractures in her vertibrae and one was crushed. As the week progressed, arrangements were made and a custom brace was ordered as plans for her recovery.

I should take a moment to describe Doris’ life prior to the accident. When her husband, Harold, passed away a few years ago, Doris had to downsize from the condo they had and move. Her son, Gordon, had a basement suite that came available, so she moved there. Still able to drive, Doris continued to do her own shopping and caring for her great grand children. When twins were born earlier in the year, she jumped in a assisted with the babies and seemed to gain extra energy from the wee ones.

One day, after about a week in the hospital, I received a call from Gordon, who was not able to reach Patti. He stated that the doctors were saying Doris was unresponsive and with a second call a few minutes later, said that she had minutes to an hour to live. I managed to get ahold of my wife who went immediately to the hospital, but was too late.

It was July the 8th. Doris was 92.

So, here we are spending all our spare time, all summer, working through all the matters that go with the passing of a family member. First the memorial service. Patti and I were the only ones who organized the memorial. Patti and Gordon are joint executors of the will. Somehow, Doris managed to pack a lot of nice things into her small suite and, thus, entering late September, we are still clearing out the suite. The memorial service went very well and connected us with a great church, Westwood Community Church in Coquitlam. I am sitting in the pro shop of the Westwood Plateau Golf Course writing while Patti attends a ladies brunch in the restaurant. Later, we are going to continue to work on Doris’ estate matters.

9 October, 2013 11:29 PM

A bit of time has passed and Thanksgiving is coming up. We are still very busy and I have been getting some coaching sessions. I shall plan to write something about this soon.